Camp Jupiter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Jupiter

The Camp for Roman demigods

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to Camp Jupiter!
Camp Jupiter is the sister site of Camp Half-Blood
Please read the rules and updates before making your characters or posting, due to improvements in the site. Thank you!

At the forges (Open)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

At the forges (Open) Empty
PostSubject: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 am

William wiped his forehead, removing the sweat beads that had started to form. He stood up straight, lifting the gold blade he had just finished hammering out. He inspected the blade all over, looking for any imperfections. He sighed as he saw a small uneven area of the blade and got back to work. Grabbing a blow torch from the side of the desk, he lowered the blacked out mask and turned it on, remelting the imperfection in the blade to reforge it. He still had quite a bit of work to do, as this was only the blade. He still had to enchant it and assemble the sword itself, as this was only the blade. Absorbed into his work, he was oblivious to everything around him.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae wasn't in the best of moods. First, she woke up late, and now, someone busted the tip off her knife. Now, the girl wasn't much for fighting, but her knife was her knife, and no one was supposed to break it. How do you even break a metal weapon to start with? The demigod didn't want to know, but it happened. The first inch of her blade was sliced clean off, and now she was flustered.

She headed off to the first and only place she knew that could fix it, the metal workers' place. Renae didn't know many kids of Vulcan, but she hoped they would be able to repair her weapon to it's past glory. Not that it was much to start with, just a simply twelve inch blade with a standard leather hilt. Still, she was persistent as she power walked through New Rome, one thing on her mind.

Renae stepped in, and immediately realized the heat of the room. In her sweater and jeans she felt warm, compared to the breezy weather outside. The demigod noticed one more person in the building, who seemed to be deep at work. She didn't know what he was doing, only that she was in dire need of assistance. "Hello!" the girl called over the sound of machinery.

No reply. Exhaling loudly, the girl walked over to the boy, this time closer. "Hello?" she tried again. Renae brushed a strand of her wavy blonde hair out of her face, staring at him for a moment. Fire was dashing along the metal of the blade, but it wasn't fazing the girl, who was still standing there expectantly. "Excuse me?!"
outfit
layout and graphics (c) sapphire
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Completely oblivious to the girl standing right beside him, it was an understatement to say he was surprised when he stood up and finally saw her. He dropped the new blade on the floor and took a step back, completely caught off guard due to the absorption of his work. Lifting his mask, he asked "How long have you been standing there?" He saw an annoyance in the girl's eyes and guessed she had been trying to get his attention. He leant down to pick up the new blade, inspecting it to make sure there was no damage from dropping it. Taking the chance to look around, he realized that he and the girl were the only ones in the forges, which, although not uncommon, was another surprise to William. He could've sworn that when he came in here there were a few others working on projects. "You know, you're really not supposed to have weapons inside the Pomerian line." He stated, indicating the girl's dagger.  It was, after all, why the weapons had to be assembled outside of New Rome. The blades could be forged, because technically they weren't weapons, but putting them together inside he lines was a big fat NO in Terminus' books.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:22 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae jumped, her eyes wide as the hot metal clanged against the concrete flooring. "Just a few minutes," she responded, eyeing the blade suspiciously.  The girl took a quick look around the forge once more, as if she needed reassurance that no one else was there.

She tried not to frown at his statement, as she looked at her knife with dismay. "I know," Renae responded icily. "But this was a, uh an exception," she said with a wave of her hand, displaying the blunt end of her knife. The look of it was saddening to the demigod, and she wanted it fixed as soon as possible.

"One of my friends borrowing it, and it came back like this," she muttered, holding it out for the boy to look at. "Do you think you can fix it?" Renae asked, her sky blue eyes fixating on him.
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm

He took a look at it at her request, turning it in his hands. The blade wasn't anything too special, but he could tell it meant a lot to her. "Shouldn't be a problem." He said with a smile. "Is it enchanted?" He asked. If it was, he would be surprised. Imperial gold is very volatile, and a break like that would normally cause a blade to explode. If this blade was enchanted, whoever broke it was seriously lucky.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:36 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae flicked her eyes down to her imperial golden blade as it was being turned in his hands. She hadn't fought many battles with the weapon, but it was her first weapon ever, and she felt like it was the only weapon she wanted to ever fight with. The demigod returned his smile as he said it was fixable. That was her biggest concern, and she felt like a weight had just been lifted off her shoulders.

She raised her eyebrow as he asked if it was enchanted. Renae didn't know anyone in the fourth that had a special weapon, especially not her. She wasn't much of a fighter. "Not that I know of," the girl responded with a shrug. "It's just a normal knife."

Brushing a strand of her hair out of her face once more, she looked at his previous project. "Is that going to be enchanted?" Renae asked, her curiosity taking over. She felt inclined to know these things, after all, she didn't want someone working on her favorite possession that she didn't trust.
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 pm

"Ok, should be a pretty simple fix then." He said as he reached for a spare bit of gold to replace the tip of the blade. When she asked her question about the blade he was working on previously, he answered "Yeah, as soon as I'm finished with it. Right now it's just gold, but once the blade is finished and it's assembled with the hilt and everything I'll enchant it to make it Imperial Gold. Much more volatile but also more powerful." He was one of the few people at camp that could enchant gold to make it Imperial Gold, which is why he was so often found making weapons. He motioned for her to stand back as he lowered his welding mask and started up the blow torch again, melting the spare gold piece so he could begin repairing her blade.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae nodded as he stated it's simplicity. She absorbed the rest of the information, taking small nods as she listened. Sometimes she could be quiet, especially when she didn't know much about forging. If she did know sometime on the subject, the girl would be the first to put her input in. But, she didn't, so her mouth stayed shut.

Backing up as directed, Renae watched with intrest as the metal was added onto her knife. She hoped that the fix wouldn't change the balance of the blade, but she guessed that the boy would make it work. That reminded her, she didn't even know his name yet. "I'm Renae," she said with a trying expression, as she continued to watch sparks fly across her weapon.
occ not done
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 am

William hammered the new golden tip onto the small blade, making it whole once again. "I'm William." He said with a smile, lifting the welding mask once again. "Try out the balance." He requested as he handed her the blade. He had recognized the indentations on the blade and had tried to repair it exactly as it was, but it was all up to Renae.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 12:36 am

William. She thought it was a fitting name for him, modest, which seemed to be a trait the boy in front of her possessed. Renae hadn't noticed he was giving her the knife back, and she was admittedly hesitant to take it. The demigod figured it would still be hot.

To her surprise it was not, and felt similar to how it always had, before it was broken. "It's perfect," she breathed, a grin growing over her lips. "How long have you been doing this? she asked, glancing up from her weapon. Most kids had been at camp longer than her, but Renae was just being curious as usual.

occ no code oops

Last edited by Luna on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 12:50 am

William gave out a sigh of relief at her review. "I've been at camp about 4 years, but my mom is an engineer and my father is Vulcan, so I guess it's in my blood." He paused for a moment, the thought of how long he had been at camp making him realize he had never seen her before. "How long have you been at camp?" He asked. Of course, it was entirely possible he had never seen her before simply because he spent the majority of his time making and repairing weapons.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 12:59 am

Renae tightened her grip on the knife, like it was her lifeline. She should've put it away by now, but the demigod didn't want anything happening to it while she was still in the forge. Honestly, she was only half listening to Will, but nodded as he spoke.

Pursing her lips slightly, the girl shrugged. "Two years?" she suggested, setting her dagger in her backpack, after sliding it into a leather sheath. "The years blur together after a while." Renae still preferred camp life over her previous one, which had been filled with alcoholic step fathers and oblivious mothers. "I like it here better than my old life," she muttered, keeping her voice low.
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 1:30 am

"Your old life?" He questioned. After a few years in the forges, he learned how to pick up virtually any noises that were not the machines, which came in handy for detecting problems before they happened with the machinery but benefitted him now in hearing what she said. He wondered what her story was. How she got to camp. Where she got the blade. It was obviously important to her, he just didn't know why.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae turned her gaze downwards as Will began questioning her old life. It wasn't exactly her favorite subject, no, it was her worst. She hated talking about it, ever since she ran away. "It's a long story," the girl said simply, still avoiding eye contact.

Remembering the favor he had preformed, the girl felt around in her pockets. She didn't have any money on her at the moment. "I, uh, what do you need, for the fix-it job?" Renae asked, raising an eyebrow at the forge.
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 11:39 pm

"Well, at least the long story got you here, right?" He asked, looking at her with a mix of concern and curiosity. He had obviously struck a nerve with her past, and was going to remember to avoid that topic in the future. When she asked about the price, he simply said "For you? On the house. The only thing it cost me was a bit of scrap metal and some time well spent, so don't worry about it." He grinned, trying to lighten the mood a bit after the slightly moody topic of her past.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae let out a nervous laugh as she nodded in agreement with his statement. She didn't like talking about most of her past, the parts with only her mother was alright, but the rest was something unrepeatable. "Yeah, good thing," the demigod said with a quick shrug.

She frowned at his reply, not minding that it wouldn't cost anything, but most services did. "Are you sure?" she asked, this time not returning his smile. "At least I could, uh -" Renae muttered, tapping her chin with her finger. "Brownies!" the demigod reddened at her immediate burst of words."The bakery down the road has good, uh, brownies," she muttered, running a hand through her mess of golden waves.
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 12:00 am

William's eyes lit up at the word 'brownies'. Little known fact, they were easily his favorite dessert. "You know how to make an offer I can't refuse." He said with a laugh. "Just let me put my equipment away and we'll head down." He started taking off the blacksmith's apron and welding mask, putting them on a hook and shelf respectively. He placed the blade he was previously working on and put it in a cubby hole with his name over the top. Patting down his pockets to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything, before lifting his head and saying "Let's go."
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae was still getting over her little screw up as William began putting things away. She quickly moved closer to the door, trying to stay out of the way. She wasn't sure about the boy yet, he seemed friendly though. Ever since her stepfather, the girl considered herself a horrible judge of character.

"Alright," the demigod said with a nod, opening the door and feeling the wind one her face. As Renae continued outwards, she could feel her clockwork necklace hitting her chest with every step. Tick, tock. "They make good hot chocolate too," she muttered, hazel eyes scanning the area.

The shop she was searching for wasn't large, but it was pretty amazing as far as food went. The homemade desserts reminded her of home, not that she cared. The place smelled like cinnamon too, like home. Not that she cared. "It's right up here," Renae said, pointing towards a charming little building along several others.

Pushing the door open, the smell hit her like a sword. She almost stopped, but remembered Will. "I, er -" Renae muttered, weaving through chairs and tables. "The counter's here."
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 10:25 pm

William wasn't sure what to think of the girl. She obviously had a past, and not a good one at that. She was definitely cute, and kind, but she had a front up. A sort of... barrier from people getting too close. He tried to promise himself he wouldn't try to break down that barrier but he knew that eventually it would get the better of him. When they arrived and the smell of chocolate and cinnamon hit him, he closed his eyes and almost ran into Renae. He caught himself, his senses getting adjusted, and asked "So, what do you want?". He pulled out his wallet, counting the little money he did have. He didn't exactly have a lacking of money. He normally didn't charge for weapon repairs, but some people insisted. Not to mention that his mother lived in New Rome. He had enough on him now for a drink and brownie for the both of them.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae felt someone's body head radiated near her, and she guessed that William had almost ran into her. She hadn't meant to stop, but kept walking, seeing one of her friends from the fourth cohort behind the counter. It was Tony, one of the daughters of Mercury that was a veteran  now. "Hey Tony," the demigod said with a small smile.

Her friend returned her grin, freckles making her look a lot younger than she actually was. Renae almost didn't see Will taking out money. "Hey, no, I got this," she insisted, slapping his hand lightly. She regretted the contact immediately after, but turned her gaze back to the daughter of Mercury. "I'll have one of the double chocolate brownies with a hot chocolate," Renae said with a small nod. She wouldn't have to pay, because of what she had done for Tony before. Apparently finding her weapon on a morning walk was equal to free food for life.

"And you?" Tony asked, raising an eyebrow at the son of Vulcan.
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 11:04 pm

He put away his money at her request, laughing a bit, but then he noticed her recoil. His mind almost split into two, one focusing on her and what they were doing and the other working on what had happened to her. He had just met her, but she had obviously been through a lot. When she asked him what he wanted, he simply said "I'll have whatever you're having. After all, you seem to be the expert here." William didn't see any money being exchanged, and made a mental note to ask her about that later. "Should we take a seat?" He asked.
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 11:21 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae turned red at his laughter, trying to hide her face with her hair. "Uh, okay, two then," she muttered, flicking her gaze up to Tony. The older girl nodded, raising an eyebrow suggestively at William, only making the demigod turn redder yet. Two large brownies, encased in plastic wrap were placed on the counter and slid to Renae. "There you go, Nae Nae," Tony said with a wide smile.

Renae wanted to disappear. Not only was Tony silently suggesting that she had something going on with the boy, and now she was using an ancient nickname of her's? Grabbing the food, she stepped over to a table next to a large window. "Sorry 'bout Tony, she knows me," she said with a shrug, sliding Will his portion of dessert.
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 pm

He had to ask. "Nae Nae?" He grinned. "How do you know her anyway? And why'd you get this stuff for free?" The other half of his brain was still working. What had happened to her? Defensive, flinching at a touch... Whatever it was, it was a lot worse than what he had initially guessed. Come to think of it, he didn't even know her godly parent yet. Another mental note on the board.  
Back to top Go down
moon
Admin
Admin
moon

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 11:59 pm

renae katherine hufford

Renae was unwrapping her dessert as she heard him talk, which made her freeze. Setting down her half-opened food, she looked at her lap. "Old nickname," the demigod said with a shrug. "Tony's the only one that called me it though, but it's really old." After letting a weary laugh escape her lips, the girl finished opening her brownie. The dessert was moist to the touch, and was sprinkled with chocolate chips.

Raising both eyebrows at Will, she took a chunk off her brownie and tossed it in her mouth. "She was in my cohort, but she's a Veteran now," Renae explained. She brushed a strand of hair behind her ear before taking another bite. "She was the one to show me around."

Soon a shorter waitress came along and set two steaming sups of hot chocolate down on their table. "I found her lost sword one day, and so she told me that I would get free food every time I came down here," Renae said softly, blowing air across the hot surface of the drink. "Her family owns the place."
outfit
Back to top Go down
Labyrinth-Designer
Probatio

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 am

"It can't be that old. You told me you've only been here 2 years." He said, a curious glint in his eye and a smile on his face. She still had her guard up, he could see that much. As he started unwrapping his own brownie, he couldn't help but notice that her skin was returning to it's normal tone. He hadn't even noticed that it had gone red. Was she embarrassed to be here with him? "So you just found her sword? I hope you didn't fall on it." He said with a cheeky grin, trying to get a genuine smile out of her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At the forges (Open)   At the forges (Open) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

At the forges (Open)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next